Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

**I know these posts are kind of overwhelming my feed, and I am posting reviews, I promise. It's just that I usually post 1-2 times per week, and this is bringing my post count up fourfold. I've been enjoying these because I met most of you after you started venturing out into new waters. Because BL lacks a compare function, it means I don't have a good grasp of your old, tattered, much-loved volumes. This is like a highlight of all the old favourites.

Anyway.

I agree with BrokenTune that no novel is a universal fit for all of your friends, but even so, there are definitely some books I've recommended quite a bit. While it is not the case that all of my friends like Pratchett, the probability that they will like Pratchett given that they tolerate my presence and my sense of humour is quite elevated.

In general, I like recommending Going Postal because it is a neat, well-rounded novel in its own right. Unlike many of the first books in the subseries, it doesn't suffer from First Book Syndrome, it is not a simple spoof, and it doesn't really have dependencies on any of the earlier books. To my more feminist friends who want to try Pratchett, I've had good success with recommending Monstrous Regiment.

Anyway, while it is true that there is no universally recommendable book, I think Pratchett is one of those writers whose works have something for almost everyone.

Recommending is a tricky business. I'm always terrified that the person will hate the book, so I tend to be quite tentative in my recommendations. However, there's nothing more wonderful than introducing someone to a series they will love. While Pratchett won this day's post, I've actually had a 100% conversion rate with The Warrior's Apprentice as an introduction to the Vorkosigan Saga. The book I'm dying to get someone to read--and passionately enjoy-- is A Madness of Angels, because there just aren't enough fans for it as there should be.