Night Watch - Terry Pratchett

Not only am I horribly behind; I'm also going to bend the prompt again.

Bastille Day made me think of Les Miserables which, inevitably, led me to Night Watch. Every time I try to make it through Les Mis, I can't help remembering snippets of Night Watch:

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions.”

Night Watch is my favourite--bar none--Pratchett book. It's one of the later members of the City Watch subseries, and, sadly, cannot be read without some previous knowledge of Sam Vimes, the protagonist, and his merry gang of watchmen. It's got the same irreverent, often quite dirty humour. My favourite:

"'I know that you are a man after my own heart.'
Vimes considered the anatomical choices.
'That would be broadly correct, sir,' he said, 'although I would not aspire that high.'"

The story is a time travel jaunt (The Trouser Legs of Time!), an exploration of Vimes' past, and a spoof of Les Miserables (I adore Reg Shoe's attempts to be Enjolras), but it is also something more: a study of revolution, of human nature, of war, of truth, justice, and a hard-boiled egg.

My absolute favourite quote:

"And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.

As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up."