Rule 34 - Charles Stross

~~Moved from GR~~

Can't finish. Gahhhhh. It seems like a very cool concept--a noir police procedural set in a near future where actual and virtual realities have been melded. But the writing. It is multi-narrator, present-tense, second-person narrative. Whyyy! I mean, I know I'm rigid about narrative styles; I tend to dislike present tense, but I'll tolerate it for a good story. But second person? I mean, how many people do you know who refer to themselves as "you", e.g.

I must have zoned out, you realize nervously.

I tend to adore unreliable first-person narrators, and I even think I could have coped with a Gollumesque/royal "we". But a story changes narrators every chapter, and all the narrators speak in present tense and refer to themselves as "you?" I just can't deal. It's like a choose-your-own adventure story where you have Multiple Personality Disorder and don't actually have any choices.

The concept is very cool, and I think it could be a fun story. If you can deal with the narrative style, I'm sure it's a fantastic read. It was gripping enough that I hung in there for a while, but ended up deciding I just couldn't cope. And now I have a headache.