A Long Fatal Love Chase - Louisa May Alcott

~~Moved from GR~~

A Long Fatal Love Chase

by Louisa May Alcott

Synopsis: Exactly what it says on the tin.

A romantic and tragic tale of love and passion and betrayal and despair. Rosamond Vivian lives alone on an island in the Mediterranean when the mysterious Philip Tempest appears (Island? Tempest? It's a reference to Shakespeare! How literary!) in answer to her despairing prayer for adventure. Their passion is mutual, at least at first, but ah, love is such a tender flower, so easily bent and broken between the steel-tipped boot of fate.

Rosamond runs.

Phil pursues.

The ending suggested in the title (eventually) ensues.

I read this when I was young and had some respect for Alcott due to Little Women. I'm afraid to say I lost such respect while reading this. It's rather like Love and Freindship only in deadly, deadly earnest. Let the purple prose commence.

On the positive side, despite its more egregious name, I honestly think it's not as awful as The Inheritance (which is basically a drier retelling of Mansfield Park, if all of the Austen trademarks were ripped out of the story's seams). I'm also pretty sure this, or at least a story close enough to be its identical twin, is referenced in Anne's story club in Anne of Green Gables when they come up with all those characters like Geraldine Seymour and Cordelia Montmorency who meet and try to save handsome wicked men and then die soo romantically of consumption or some such. (Anne's penname was in fact Rosamund Montmorency, if memory serves.)

Overall, I found it vastly, if unintentionally, entertaining.  Highly recommended if you're in the mood for a little Victorian histrionics.