If you're looking for a whimsical, beautifully illustrated, and just plain fun coffee-table book, Maja Säfström's Animals of a Bygone Era could be just the thing. The book is short but very sweet, with quaint drawings and mischievous comments that make it a thoroughly enjoyable read for kids or adults.

I wish I could show a few examples of the inside pages, but so far the publisher hasn't released any, so I'll do my best to describe the format. Each animal gets two pages, with one or more creatures, short handwritten comments pointing to the animal. Often the animal itself has a few comments; for example, the Eomanis, a predecessor of the modern pangolin, has some notes on the page saying that it started as a vegetarian but ended up eating insects.
The page has the following dialogue:
Pangolin: "Hi guys..."
Insects: "You're just gonna eat this leaf, right?"
Pangolin: "Well."

If you're in the mood for a whimsical picture book that will make for an enjoyable read for kids and adults, then Animals of a Bygone Era is well worth a look.

I received an advanced reader copy of this ebook through Netgalley from the publisher, Ten Speed Press, in exchange for my honest review. Thanks!

~~Cross-posted on Goodreads.~~