Working for Bigfoot - Jim Butcher, Vincent Chong

**Note: This is a reaction--a few ill-considered opinions not backed up by textual evidence-- rather than a review.**

I picked this up on audio from the library, and even though it was wonderful to hear James Marster's voice again, I nearly didn't finish it. There are a lot of problematic aspects of the Dresden Files, but Butchers' ill-informed and ill-advised stereotyping of Native American cultures has always been a sore spot with me. In one of the first paragraphs of the book, we discover that Bigfoot speaks with a "Native American accent." Never mind that there are literally hundreds of different Amerindian languages and yet more dialects; clearly there exists a single generic "Native American accent." Ugh.

If I could have stopped there, I would, but I was listening to it on audio while biking, and I had many a mile to go that night before I reached my town-o, and according to Carly's Rule of Inverse Stoplight Color, the more you want a red light so that you can, for example, switch from an offensively stereotyping audiobook to an Imagine Dragons album, the less likely you are to actually get said stoplight color. In a journey miraculously filled with green lights, it was close to nine miles later before I actually got a red-light opportunity to swap to music, and by that time, I was effectively hooked.

Working For Bigfoot is far from the best of the books, and I think it's likely to be fun only if you're very familiar with the other books in the series. The three stories also take place at widely varying points in the series, so if you haven't made it pastTurn Coat, beware of spoilers. It's also somewhat unique amongst the Dresden short stories in that absolutely none of the standard side characters show up at any point. There are some highly problematic characterizations of Native Americans--a single "Native American accent" is far from the worst of it-- as well as problematic portrayals of women and a story featuring the Whampires and all that entails. Even so, I enjoyed being back in Dresden's world and hearing his narration again. One of my favourite parts was when, early on, Dresden is afraid his actions might cause the Wizard Council to be entangled in a war with another supernatural group. Because who could imagine he'd want to do that?